"While we try to teach our children all about life, our children teach us what life is all about."

Monday, January 26, 2009

"Pirate" Parts

I will go ahead and apologize ahead of time...this post may discuss more than you would like to hear about but I couldn't let this experience pass without sharing it.

I like to think that Olivia Grace is pretty innocent compared to many children today. I realize she is only four, but working in a public school will give you a clear idea of what you don't want your four year old to know about. Up until Carter's birth, she really didn't realize that boys were any different than girls. Since then, she has noticed that his "tuu-tee" doesn't look like hers and she is totally amazed by it. She has now learned that his isn't called a "tuu-tee" but instead we call his a "winky". For quite some time, we called them the same thing but Claire made sure to inform me that we could not do that.

I have been allowing them to take a bath together because Carter loves to splash and OG thinks it is hilarious to make him splash harder by laughing each time he hits the water. For the past month, she has been more interested in Carter's private parts than I would like for her to be. I know that it is just something different and her interest will soon pass. However, I have started trying to explain to her that each person has private parts that only belong to them and no one should look or touch except for mommas and dads. She seemed to understand and I thought my continuous reminding was working because she hasn't said anything the past week or so in the bathtub or during his diaper changes. Tonight, we were all three in the tub and Carter was overly excited about splashing in the water. Olivia Grace looks at me and says, "look, his "pirate" parts shake when he kicks". I thought I would die!!! I had to tell her that they were called "private" parts because that is what moms should do, right? I really just wanted to start laughing hysterically but I kept my composure, corrected the word and pulled the plug in the tub. It was time to get out!!

No comments: